The Wasteland Covenant is a rules lite post-apocalyptic story game about exploring new settlements and the history and life of your Trade Envoy.
The game is the first to use the Told by Travelers system, a diceless round-robin GM game where the currency of play is found in questions to be asked and answered.
In The Wasteland Covenant everyone will take turns playing a sort of GM as they take on their roles as Settlements one at a time. While one player takes on the role of the Settlement, everyone else takes on the roles of Trade Envoys visiting the settlement for the first time.
Questions will lead to two outcomes:
- Free Play: back and forth style freeform gameplay between Settlement and Envoy(s)
- Flashback: The character activating a Flashback (usually an Envoy) recounts a memory or scene from a player's past, which is often done solo, while everyone else takes a moment to listen.
Play this game to:
- Play a game that works best as a one-shot or short campaign.
- Improvise interactions and descriptions as both Settlement and Trade Envoy.
- Create in the moment rich worlds and meaningful characters with storied pasts.
The journey, not the destination
"You may structure this game as much as possible. If you want, you can set up what deals will be made before the game itself even starts, during character creation. That is a completely valid way to play and it won’t break the game or make it any less fun.
This game was written with the assumption that by the end everyone has the resources they need; in the end everyone will “win.” The point of the game is to engage with the story, to build exciting worlds and to play in a bit of post-apocalyptic wonder and drama."
File Formats: The game is available in both a digest-sized PDF and a Mobile friendly PDF, both of which are available in large and small file sizes.
Audio: a 32 minute mp3 of an audio transcription read and edited by myself is now available.
Community Copies are available!
- Launch with
25 29 Community Copies.
- Every Sale is +1 Community Copy.
- Every Rating is +1 Community Copy.
- If you plan to leave a less than 4-star rating, please leave a review on what you think could improve it.
- Please do not leave a bad rating if you don't like story games, post apocalypse games, or any other working as intended features, just because they are not to your preference.
Feedback is always appreciated!